First 3 days in Nepal

I picked Nepal without doing any research… I was going to book to China but not to Beijing which didn’t seem like the best plan – how do you go to China without going to the Great Wall. A few hours after booking the flights I woke up thinking “what have I done, I know nothing about this place.” Some research online and with friends reduced my concerns but pushed me into wanting to use a tour guide instead of planning it all myself like I usually do.


Ipads out already… how did people travel without them?


The kids entertained a the hotel workers by playing tag in the driveway.

We flew to Kathmandu via Oman air which was great, more leg room and a direct flight – only 4 hours. The next day we hit the Buddhist Monkey Temple which sits atop a hill that rises out of the middle of the valley. The entire hill is an outdoor temple and has a resident group of monkey’s living there. To get to the top you must walk 365 steps, which if you do it without stopping then you will get to make a wish or have good luck or be blessed for the year – depending on which tour guide you talk to. It was Saturday so it was busy with all kinds of people doing their devotions. We don’t understand much of it but it is interesting to watch; it’s all very ritualistic.


Ethan pulling on a prayer flag rope.


The haze that settled over most of the country while we were there. I am told there are mountains surrounding the city.


The bottom of the 365 steps.



Women lining up for some kind of blessing. They handed baskets full of stuff into the “idol house” and a man inside would disassemble them and the empty baskets out. Sitting in front of the door four people were chanting and going through ritual prayers and offerings. All very elaborate and confusing.

DSCF6830 DSCF6836 DSCF6841 DSCF6850

More interesting was a Hindu temple where they cremate the dead and sprinkle their ashes in the river. There were a few cremations going on so we got to see a different way of dealing with death. The entire family attends and the closest male relatives build a wood and woven palm frond basket which the body is put into. Then this is put on a pire of wood. The entire thing is covered in grass and lit on fire. The process takes about 3 hours and most of family attends. It didn’t seem like a very sad affair, but then we only saw the public face of the death of this person.


Tic-Tac or mint break at the cremation.

Kathmandu was hit by an earthquake about 2 years ago. This cause massive destruction which is most evident in Durbar Square. The square is home to many historical buildings several of which are severely damaged and will need to be knocked down. One building that survived is the home of the Kumari – a living God who “reigns” from about 3 to around 14. Then a new one is picked. We stood outside her home and she made an appearance – not sure if she was annoyed or bored or both but she looked much older than her 8 years old. We stood in the courtyard and she looked over us for about 60 seconds – making eye contact with a few people. Then she left – she does this several times a day.


The building with the green cloth on the scaffold was built as a center piece to the capital. They brought in European designs to build it. It would be easier to rebuild it then try restore it. To the right is a palace that the royal family used at one time.


Matty playing goats and tigers. A chess game were the goats try and trap the tigers and while the tigers try to eat the goats.

After that we were templed out. When a temple is busy it is about the people and them doing their devotions it is interesting, but when the temple isn’t busy it’s less interesting. Also some temples aren’t really temples at all but instead are small buildings with an offering plate and a statue of god inside. Architecturally they aren’t interesting and they seem to have little to see except the statues some of which look “plastic-ey”.

Our hotel was great and we all enjoyed relaxing on the roof top terrace. Nearby were several great restaurants and just walking through the city was a learning experience.



Our next day we flew to Pokhara via Yeti Air and our only real view of the mountains.


The best view of the mountains on the whole trip.


Leave a Reply